Friday, January 12, 2007

Envy (originally posted on http://daemoneyes.deviantart.com on June 15 2006)

Anyone who knows me will probably tell you that I am an envious person.

I envy anyone who has more than what I have.

And I am not ashamed to admit it.

Envy is a mortal sin.

But then again, that only applies to those who practice Christianity.

Envy, for me, is a natural Human emotion. HUMAN being the keyword.

It is irrelevant to accept what the Bible teaches us about envy.

"Thou shall not covet thy neighbors goods.". Give me a break.

To follow this, you must know what it feels like to have everything.

The thing is, I dont have everything I want.

I have everything I need, but not everything I want.

Wanting, is after all, a human emotion.

So who is God to say that?

He is not human. He is God.

---

Is it so wrong to be envious of someone who is undeserving?

This person... this someone... doesnt deserve to be where he is now.

But I envy him.

The oppurtunities, the pay-off. He just doesnt deserve it.

I am n-times more hard-working than he is.

I am n-times more capable than he is.

I am n-times more competent than he is.

I live my life better than he does.

Then why not me?

Why not give me a break?

Is he one of the chosen few, delegated by his God to lead a blessed life?

Thats a load of bullcrap.

---

This is one of the reasons why my faith is fading.

This is one of the reasons why I find it hard to believe in what the Bible teaches us.

This is one of the reasons why I doubt God.

We are not equal. At least from where Im standing.

How can the Queen Mother be equal to a homeless woman with four malnourished children in Ghana?

Theology aside, placing reality in perspective, it just doesnt add up.

The mere fact that Christianity recognizes the prescence of inequality is proof enought to refute that we are all equal.

"Thou shall not covet thy neighbors goods."

The understatement says it all.

DO NOT ENVY WHAT YOUR NEIGHBOR HAS. Which means, do not be envy of what you dont have that your neighbor has. Right?

---

Envy is a mortal sin.

To me, envy is part of what defines my being human.

It is not wrong to be envious.

You can only say that it is wrong when you have everything you want.

I guess, thats not going to happen anytime soon...

No comments:

Text

Blogger Tricks

visitor stats

Popular Posts